At its May 10 trustees’ meeting, the Mary S. and David C. Corbin Foundation awarded $261,800 in grants and gifts to charities and charitable activities mostly in the Akron and Summit County areas.
• The Akron Marathon Corp., $5,000 for an intern;
• Battered Women’s Shelter, $15,000 for its Summit County Court Advocacy Program;
• Boys and Girls Clubs of the Western Reserve, $8,000 for the Arlington Club’s general overhead expenses;
• Choices, A Community Social Center Inc., $3,800 for home gym purchases;
• Cuyahoga Valley National Park Association, $10,000 for rehabilitation of the Stanford House;
• CYO and Community Services, $10,500 for nursing services for its SumFUN Program;
• Cow Creek Presbyterian Church, $3,000 for a contribution;
• Dominican Sisters of Peace Inc., doing business as Crown Point Ecology Center, $5,000 for youth education programming;
• East Akron Community House Association, $4,700 for general purposes;
• The Friends of Children’s Hospital Harness Race Rally, $2,000 for a contribution;
• Girl Scouts of North East Ohio, $5,000 for its Positive Futures Program;
• Goodwill Industries of Akron, Ohio Inc., $5,000 for its Elizabeth Clark Fund;
• GroundWorks Dancetheater, $5,000 for its 2010-11 Summit County performances and outreach activities;
• Humane Society of Greater Akron, $50,000 for a Medical-Surgical Suite;
• Info Line Inc., $5,000 for voicemail numbers;
• Info Line Inc. — Project Connect, $10,000 for its 2010 service capacity expansion;
• JA Worldwide — Junior Achievement of North Central Ohio, $3,300 for 2010-11 Summit County school programs;
• Keep Akron Beautiful, $5,500 for an Akron Rain Garden Demonstration and Clinic;
• Tuesday Musical Club, $5,000 for its Education and Outreach Program; and
• Western Reserve Land Conservancy, $10,000 for creation of Urban Greenway in Akron.
In addition to those grants, Habitat for Humanity of Summit County Inc. will receive a $50,000 payment on the foundation’s $200,000, three-year commitment for Habitat’s new location. The Young Men’s Christian Association of Akron, Ohio also will receive a $50,000 payment on the foundation’s $200,000 pledge toward its University Park Capital Campaign.
As of April 30, the market value of the foundation’s invested assets was approximately $18.9 million.
For information concerning grant applications, call 330-762-6427. Applicants also may write to the foundation’s office at 910 Key Building, Akron, OH 44308; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit www.foundationcenter.org/grantmaker/corbin.